Sai Baba Sri Sathya Sai Baba

    Home  Thought for the Day  |  Sai Inspires 

    Articles | Avatar | Bhajans | Experiences | Messages | Miracles | Prayers | Quotes | Stories | Service | Teachings


Sri Sathya Sai Baba Teachings


 (Indweller of Hearts)
By Bombai Srinivasan

Chapter 16
Cancer plucked away

By Swami's Grace, the work shed was got ready, the machinery arrived and were installed. Yet there were many other loose ends to be tied up, such as Bank finance for working capital, power connection and many other related works. Swami was always with me through and through herever I went in connection with my work.

Let us take the issue of bank loan facilities. I had opened my account with the Sate Bank of India, Guindy, a distant suburb in Madras. Mr. Subramaniam, a senior officer was entrusted with the responsibility to evaluate and recommend my proposals. As I entered his cabin for the first time, I felt happy to find a small photograph of Swami underneath the glass top of his table. Naturally, after our mutual introduction was over, our talks turned towards Sai Baba. And during the subsequent months I was rewarded with plenty of opportunities to discuss with him about Swami.

In the suburban city of Guindy, there is temple dedicated to Shiridi Sai Baba, the previous
incarnation of Swami, when He was still in His teens. There is a lengthy story about this temple, vividly explained by Mr.Howard Murphet, in his book on “MAN OF MIRACLES.” Scores of devotees visit this temple daily and offer worship. Sai bhajans are conducted here on all Thursdays and Sundays. Initially on my arrival in Madras, I was posted as a Seva dal to handle the book stall on the days of Bhajans. My friend from the State Bank, Mr. Subramaniam was also a regular visitor to this temple.

Mr. Subramaniam has bereavement in his family. His father passed away in their native place. On arrival back after finishing the obsequies for his father, he joined duty. I had planned a visit to Parthi and he said that he would be giving me a cover to be submitted to Swami whenever I got the fist chance. I accepted the cover and went to Parthi. In fact I was going there to attend the sacred thread ceremony of my sons and other students. Swami provided plenty of chances to me during those 4 days to give the letter to Swami. But It was not accepted. On the last possible Darshan before leaving Parthi, I again tried to submit the cover and again Swami’s avoided it. I felt sad. How could I carry back this letter and return to my friend? Or should I deposit it in the post box of the local post office? When such thoughts were passing through my mind, Swami retraced a few steps and asked me “is it Yours?” I replied that it was not but it was given to me by a close friend of mine. This time Swami extended His divine Hand and accepted the letter. I realized then that we should not normally carry letters to Swami except on personal inconveniences or when the devotees are from distant places. It was sheer mercy on the part of Swami or some other compelling reasons that made Swami accept the cover after some esitations. And indeed there was some reason for it which I came to know after another fortnight or so. On my return back to Madras when I went to Bank, Mr.Subramaniam was not in his seat. I was told that his mother had also passed away and had to go back to his Native place. It was shocking news for me. When he returned back I offered my condolence and enquired what exactly he had written to Swami, and he could tell me if he felt so. He was very glad to give me all the information. He even mentioned that he knew that Swami had accepted the letter, for Swami had come to him in dream one day and spoke to him . At that time he knew well what Swami said, and remembered having cried at His Feet at that time. But after waking up he did not remember anything of what Swami had told him. He said that he had written to Swami about the sad demise of his father and that his mother was very weak and had prayed that she should be looked after by Swami. But within a day or two the mother also passed away. So it was surmised that Swami might have in dream forewarned him about the impending development and then made him forget about it.

Mr. Subramaniam was later on transferred to Coimbatore and then to some other cities in North India. After a lapse of about 5 years, I met him again in Madras, when he told me that he had been posted back in Madras. I felt very happy to have him with us. He attended a Bhajan held in our house with is family. His wife at that time spoke to us about the Divine Mercy which they had enjoyed sometime back and how Sai had given her a new lease of life. Mr. Subramaniam had left his wife and children in Coimbatore when he went to the North on transfer. The wife fell sick and was in very bad condition. She was frightened since her husband was also away. She was put to lots of tests and ultimately it was diagnosed she had a tumor in the brain which was found to be malignant. At that time, the cancer was almost a terminal case and doctors had given up hope of her survival. A period of less than a month was the maximum life period expected by the Doctors. Srimathi, which is her name, was frightened at these prospects, especially when her husband was away from her. She lost interest in her food and was literally starving. A heavy dosage of medicines had made her very weak.

At this crucial juncture, she felt sorry, that though a Sai devotee, she had not participated in any Seva activities and she did not wish to leave the world without doing any service in the organization. To her good luck, Seva Dals from Coimbatore were proceeding to Parthi for their group service, and she persuaded the leaders of the organization to take her along with them. On reaching Parthi, in spite of her illness and weakness, she was discharging the duty allotted to her to the best of her ability. The Seva dal colleagues were considerate and sympathetic with herand were helpful too. In any event, she did not feel like taking food though her friends tried to persuade her. One day late in the night when all the lights were off at Prashanthi Nilayam and after the canteen had also been closed for the day, the other female Seva Dals tried to convince her of necessity of taking food, as she was already very weak. Irritated as she was, she retorted by telling that if then could bring some tamarind soup with rice and some papat, then she would relent and eat. She had expressed an impossible proposition since the canteen and other eating houses in the area had already been closed for the day. The friends had some bread and fruits, which she refused to accept. They all slept over.

Shortly afterwards Mrs. Srimathi woke up her friends and told them that she just had her food. They were surprised because she looked very fresh. They told her to sleep back not to dream and wake them up again. She told them that Swami Himself had come into the dormitory and provide the same food, which she had asked for earlier. They did not believe. They were shown the left over of the Papat, which nobody could get at that time. Swami had persuaded her to partake the food, which she was refusing for many weeks now because of her illness. From that day onwards she felt stronger and was enthusiastic in her service activities. At the end of the service period, she with others, returned back to Coimbatore. Within a week or so she had a dream of Swami when she was asked to lie down and relax. Swami then plucked away the tumor from
within her head. Later on she had a nice sleep, and in the morning she did not know whether it was a real experience or a dream. However the pain in her head had subsided and she felt some relief Immediately afterwards her doctors examined her again and found that the tumor had actually vanished.

Her most loving and understanding husband had since been transferred back to Madras and both of them are actively engaging themselves in Samithi activities. Swami had taken care of their children also. The eldest daughter had finished her studies at Anantapur campus of Swami's college and was working in the Sri Sathya Sai Hospital at Whitefield. By the Grace of Swami and in a miraculous way, she had since been married and leading happy life. The second one is a son and he is now studying in commerce group in the Whitefield campus.

They were looking for a flat to purchase Mrs. Srimathi had another dream in which Swami had appeared and told her that she should look for a house bearing the number ‘9’ It proved to be a real clue and within a very short period. even without sufficient funds they were able to get a house on nominal payment and move into it. The seller waited for their convenience to get his payment Mrs. Srimathi Subramaniam and Her husband Mr.Subramaniam attribute everything that is happening in their life as sheer Grace of Swami and His will alone.


Please Note: Mr.Subramaniam has now retired from service voluntararily. He is now settled in Prashanthi Nilayam, and working in the overseas devoteesaccomodation office.

Author's statement in:

Many of you may be aware that I had authored a book with the title "Sri Sathya Sai Hrudaya Nivasi (Indweller of Hearts). This book had seen the third reprint, and is being sold in Bhagavan's Bookstall at Prashanthi Nilayam. Many of you would have purchased and many would not have got chance to go to Parthi and get the book. After the third edition, this may not go to print again. As such I wish to bring the contents of this book to each and every one of you.

Starting from today I shall post one chapter every week or if possible twice a week, depending upon the response I get from you all. I would request you to kindly read it and then re-circulate it to your other friends in the Sai Family.

The text could be transferred to your hard disk, and if possible print outs taken out.

Utilize the contents, as much as you like.

With Lots of Love and regards
Bombay Srinivasan


Best Resolution 1024x768 -- Copyright © 2004-2015 SAIBABA.WS. All rights reserved. Please read Disclaimer.